8 seminaries in Bikolandia gather for annual meet
Some 195 seminarians gathered for this year’s Bikol Association of Philosophy Seminarians Meet, an annual gathering of philosophy seminarians in Bikolandia, at the Our Lady of Peñafrancia Seminary, High School Department in Sorsogon City, Jan. 21 to 22, 2019. SEM. JEMUEL GEPIGA
By Sem. Jemuel B. Gepiga with Fr. Philippe A. B. Gallanosa
Feb. 12, 2019
Bibincahan, Sorsogon City
The Our Lady of Peñafrancia Seminary, Philosophy Department hosted this year’s Bikol Association of Philosophy Seminarians Meet, an annual gathering of philosophy seminarians in Bikolandia, at the Our Lady of Peñafrancia Seminary, High School Department in this city, Jan. 21 to 22, 2019.
The 8 seminaries represented were as follows:
- Our Lady of Peñafrancia Seminary had 23 seminarians with 4 priest-formators;
- Mater Salutis College Seminary had a total of 25 seminarians and 3 priest-formators;
- Holy Trinity College Seminary had 30 seminarians together with their 3 priest-formators;
- Adorno Father Formation House had a total of 10 seminarians with 2 priest-formators;
- Sedes Sapientiae Formation House had 8 seminarians with their priest-formator;
- St. Benedict Diocesan Seminary had a total of 21 seminarians and a priest-formator;
- Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity College Seminary had 11 seminarians with 2 priest-formators;
- Holy Rosary Major Seminary, the largest delegation among the seminaries, had a total of 50 seminarians with their 6 priest-formators
These bring the total number of participants of the BAPS Meet 2019 to 195 registered participants, seminarians, and priest-formators.
A creative parade kicked off the annual gathering of philosophy seminarians in Bikolandia. Presided over by Fr. Felix “Jun” Elegado, Jr., vicar general of the Diocese of Sorsogon, the opening Eucharistic celebration followed after. After, the participants gathered to listen to a philosophical talk on The ‘Other’ in Levinas and The Christian Idea of ‘Neighbor’ by Fr. Alexander Zamora, associate professor and diocesan oeconomus.
Later in the afternoon of Monday, Jan. 21, the seminarians and participating priests joined various sports activities like basketball and volleybal.
Fr. Rondel John Sioson, spiritual director of OLPS, presided over solemn Vespers and heard confessions in the evening. The seminarians showcased their talents by performing various presentations during a cultural night.
The following day, Jan. 22, participants attended the closing Eucharistic celebration presided over by Fr. Ramoncito S. Segubiense, rector of Mater Salutis College Seminary. The next host, Mater Salutis College Seminary, also received hosting rights and insignia.
Later that day, the seminarians made a trip to some tourist destinations in Sorsogon like the Parish of St. Joseph in Barcelona, Bulusan Lake in Bulusan, and the San Benon Hot Spring resort.