Bishop backs crackdown on illegal recruiters
By CBCP News
December 2, 2019
A Catholic bishop has backed the crackdown on illegal recruitment and said that it must be done “with no let-up”.
Bishop Ruperto Santos of Balanga said the government must strongly go after illegal recruiters, who lure Filipinos with fake job offers.
“Crackdown on illegal recruitment should and must be done constantly and consistently,” he said. “They must be investigated, prosecuted.”
President Rodrigo Duterte on Nov. 26 ordered the concerned agencies to intensify the government’s anti-illegal recruitment campaign.
Duterte, earlier this year, announced he would establish an executive department that would handle matters concerning Filipino migrant workers by December.
He also promised to put the Philippine-based recruitment agencies under strict government regulation.
The former head of the bishops’ Commission on Migrants and Itinerant People also agreed with Duterte, who likened the illegal recruiters to drug traffickers.
“Yes, they are the same as evil deeds and criminal acts which ruin a life. Both destroy life and lead death,” Santos added.
“To protect our family and society is also to safeguard them from drug peddlers and illegal recruitments,” he also said.