Bishop warns against impostor asking cellphone load
By CBCP News
March 28, 2019
Bishop Joel Baylon of Legazpi has warned parishes and church institutions to be on lookout for an impostor posing as him and then asking for cellphone loads.
The bishop alerted the public that he never has and never will call anybody to ask for thousands of pesos of loads.
“Don’t fall for these people. They might use other names so my suggestion is always call the chancery of the bishop and verify,” Baylon said.
The 65-year-old prelate said he was aware that several parishes across the country had been called by “someone pretending to be me”.
The scam targeted parishes and even charitable institutions not just in Metro Manila but also in other dioceses.
He said a parish in Manila even gave as much as 30,000 worth cellphone load.
“He has victimized many parishes already all over the Philippines,” he said. “I think he took not less than P100,000 (load worth) already using my name”.
Bishop impostor targets parishes in scam
December 3, 2017
A scam by someone posing as a Catholic prelate has robbed some parishes and parishioners in Manila, an archbishop’s secretary said.
Fr. Regie Malicdem, chancellor of the Manila archdiocese, asked his fellow priests to tell the faithful about the impostor and report to authorities if they see him introducing himself as a bishop.
The priest said the impostor would call up parish offices, then claim that he has an event and would ask that he be referred to a caterer.
He said the man would also ask priests, parish staff or the caterer for at least P5,000 worth of cellphone load.
“Please warn your parish staff about this scheme. He is very insistent and demanding. Many parishes have already been victimized,” Malicdem said.
“The caterers are also the usual victims of the scam. I know at least three caterers that were victimized,” he said.
The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is already looking into the matter at the request of the archdiocese.