Caritas PH launches int’l appeal for Mindanao quake rehab
Earthquake victims in North Cotabato. CARITAS PHILIPPINES
By CBCP News
November 18, 2019
The Philippine Catholic Church’s social action arm has launched an international appeal for earthquake-stricken areas in Mindanao.
The appeal, issued on Nov. 16, seeks to raise around P36.7 million to continue providing relief aid to the victims and help fund recovery and rehabilitation efforts.
Caritas Philippines said there are at least 10,000 people displaced by the series of tremors in October that need to be helped and supported.
It said the needs of those affected include food, hygiene kits, sleeping kits, shelter and toilet facilities, repair kits, conditional cash vouchers, and livelihood enterprises.
The church agency said most of the victims are located in at least two dioceses: Kidapawan and Digos.
“The overall goal is to meet the essential emergency non-food supplements, temporary shelter and alternative livelihoods,” Caritas Philippines said.
The funds will also be used for enhanced emergency preparedness capacity of 2,260 households or 10,290 individuals affected by the earthquake in the country’s south.
The assistance and rehabilitation program is projected to run from next month to December 2020.
At least 21 people were killed and hundreds were injured from the earthquakes that rocked Cotabato and parts of Mindanao last month.