Cubao diocese bans ‘healing priest’ from public ministry

Cubao diocese bans ‘healing priest’ from public ministry

By CBCP News

November 22, 2019

Manila, Philippines

The Diocese of Cubao announced sanctions against embattled Fr. Fernando Suarez and other priests belonging to his group known as the “Missionaries of Mary of the Poor”.

The sanctions, ordered by Bishop Honesto Ongtioco and detailed in a circular to his clergy, prohibits Suarez and his member priests from public ministry in Cubao diocese.

They are “banned” from celebrating Masses and administering other sacraments in the diocese, said the bishop.

“They have no permission and they do not have faculty until all the cases or allegations hurled against them are cleared,” Ongtioco said.

The prelate, however, stopped short of getting into details about the cases that Suarez and his group are facing.

Ongtioco’s move came a month after a diocese in central Mindanao also barred the controversial “healing priest” from saying healing Masses in his ecclesiastical jurisdiction.

Bishop Jose Cabantan of Malaybalay said that Suarez had been conducting healing Masses without the necessary permit from his diocese.

Bishop Ongtioco also warned against “priests” from other sects and former or “suspended” Catholic clerics who are prohibited from saying Masses in the diocese

“Kindly review and observe protocol,” he added.

Several bishops had previously banned Suarez from holding Masses in their dioceses.

Malaybalay bishop bars Fr. Suarez from diocese

Bishop Jose Cabantan of Malaybalay. BRENDA P. MILAN

By CBCP News

October 9, 2019

Manila, Philippines

Another Catholic bishop has barred “healing priest” Fr. Fernando Suarez from doing his activities in his diocese in central Mindanao.

Bishop Jose Cabantan of Malaybalay disclosed that Suarez had been conducting healing masses without the necessary permit from his diocese.

“We ask their group to secure a ‘celebret’ or an endorsement from his bishop so we can allow him to celebrate Mass and do healing. But we have not received it,” he said.

Church law states that a priest who wishes to say Mass outside of the diocese in which he is incardinated must present an endorsement from his local bishop.

Also known as “celebret,” it is a document confirming that he is a priest in good standing from his own diocese or religious affiliation.

Several bishops had banned Suarez from holding healing masses in their dioceses for one reason or the other.

In a memorandum issued on Oct. 7, the prelate also warned the clergy and accompanying laypeople from other areas who are present in the diocese.

He said that they, too, are prohibited to celebrate Mass and other Sacraments in all Catholic churches in Bukidnon diocese without permission.

“I am calling all the clergy, religious and our lay faithful to be vigilant and cautious about their presence,” Bishop Cabantan added.

“We may always show them the respect that they deserve as persons and fellow Christians but mindful always of the law of the Church concerning the proper minister of the Sacraments,” he said.