Stop Charter Change
By Sangguniang Laiko ng Pilipinas (LAIKO)
July 12, 2018
The Sangguniang Laiko ng Pilipinas (LAIKO) believes that the 1987 Constitution is founded on reverence to God, democracy and social justice. Therefore, in unity with all Filipinos who are freedom-loving and defenders of truth, we strongly oppose the Charter Change. We do not believe in the timeliness of the process and its lack of transparency because we are witnesses to a House of Representatives that acts as puppets of a totalitarian executive. We do not believe in the proposal to adopt a federal form of government that would apparently guarantee a fairer distribution of resources among the regions, more participation in the political process and a better life for all, yet giving vast powers to President Duterte between 2019-2022, and impose more taxes on the people to support new structures and officials.
Based on the March 2018 Pulse Asia Survey the number of Filipinos opposed to Charter change went up from 44 percent in July 2016 to 64 % in March 2018, and the opposition to federalism went the same way, except by a larger margin from 33 percent to 66 percent. (1) LAIKO therefore joins this growing number of Filipinos to call on our legislators in Congress to STOP CHA-CHA. Instead we urge them to:
- craft enabling laws that will fully implement the provisions of the 1987 Constitution especially on the Freedom of Information and the Anti-Dynasty Law.
- make the wider consultation process in the country for the Filipinos to fully understand the effects of tampering with the 1987 Constitution
- call for a constitutional convention wherein the different sectors of society are represented and in a democratic venue express their stand without being afraid for their life.
Therefore, we call on all freedom loving Christians to:
- organize prayer vigils in our dioceses, parishes and communities, parishes on July 23- the day President Duterte delivers his State of the Nation Address.
- reject attempts by our Congressmen to delete the provisions that guarantee the constitutional rights of all Filipinos.
- reject any attempt to bring back dictatorship, undetermined extension of terms of elected officials and the postponement of national and local elections.
For the LAIKO Board of Directors,
MA. JULIETA F. WASAN
Sangguniang Laiko ng Pilipinas
+MOST REV. BRODERICK S. PABILLO, D.D.
CBCP-Episcopal Commission on the Laity
July 12, 2018
(1) Solita Collas Monsod, Philippine Daily Inquirer, July 7, 2018.