Thousands expected to join Walk for Life on Feb. 24
L-R) George Campos of the Couples for Christ, CBCP Commission on Laity chairman; Manila Auxiliary Bishop Broderick Pabillo; Sangguniang Laiko ng Pilipinas president Julieta Wasan, and Aid to the Church in Need (ACN) Philippines media director Peachy Yamsuan hold a press conference, Feb. 12, 2018
By Marylee San Buenaventura
February 23, 2018
MANILA—The Sangguniang Laiko ng Pilipinas, the biggest umbrella organization of national Catholic lay organizations and archdiocesan and diocesan councils of the laity, will lead the second Walk for Life on Feb. 24 at the Quirino Grandstand in Manila.
The walk will start at 4:00 a.m. to be followed by a Mass to be presided over by Manila Archbishop Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle.
Simultaneously, four cities will hold their respective walks in solidarity with the call to “uphold human life and human dignity”.
The event will also highlight other issues such as the persecution of Christians; the continuing drug menace and the Duterte administration’s drug war, which has claimed many lives; abortion; the proposed revival of the death penalty; destruction of the environment and resulting threats to the lives of indigenous peoples; the plight of farmers awaiting genuine land reforms; labor contractualization; the new tax law; human trafficking; and the lack of decent housing for the urban poor.
‘Engaged in the temporal order’
Manila Auxiliary Bishop Broderick Pabillo, chairman of the CBCP Commission on the Laity, has often said that “the lay has the responsibility to be engaged in the temporal order, the secular realm.”
From Cebu, Msgr. Ruben Labajo, team moderator of the Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral and archdiocesan spiritual director of the World Apostolate of Fatima, said the numerous killings occurring in the country are signs that life is becoming “less valuable.”
As further proof of this, the priest cited the recent ambush of Vice Mayor Jonnah John Ungab of Ronda town in Cebu.
Other prelates, including Bishop Honesto Ongtioco of Cubao and Bishop Arturo Bastes of Sorsogon, have expressed support for this year’s Walk for Life.
Organizers hope to top the attendance of last year’s Walk for Life which reached over 10,000 persons.
This year, simultaneous walks will be held in the cities of Tarlac, San Pablo, Cebu and Cagayan de Oro. (Marylee San Buenaventura/CBCPNews)