Select Page

Batangas basilica temporarily closed due to quake damage

Batangas basilica temporarily closed due to quake damage
People gather outside the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception in Batangas City after a series of earthquakes that rocked the Batangas province on Saturday, April 8, 2017. PHOTO COURTESY OF JOHN CHRISTIAN BAXA

MANILA— One of oldest churches in Batangas province was closed temporarily due to damages caused by Saturday’s earthquake.

This means that the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception in Batangas City will hold Mass outdoors in the coming days to allow structural checks to be carried out by the authorities.

In a statement, the parish said the basilica is “closed to the public” as recommended by the Batangas City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office.

“Due to the earthquake this 3:00pm, people are not allowed to enter the basilica. All Masses will be held temporarily at Plaza Mabini,” the parish said.

Twin earthquakes rocked Batangas province on Saturday afternoon, which measured magnitude 5.7 and 5.9, respectively and were felt in Metro Manila and some areas of south Luzon.

So far, local authorities have reported only minor damages and no evacuations have taken place.

In Batangas City, the quake caused cracks and other minor damage to the basilica.

The tremors took place a day before Palm Sunday, which marks the start of the Holy Week.

The province had just been jolted by a 5.5-magnitude earthquake last Tuesday and also damaged the Basilica of Saint Martin of Tours in Taal, Batangas. CBCPNews

Get your Advent and Christmas Devotionals