Bishop pleads to resume search for missing Filipino seafarers

Bishop pleads to resume search for missing Filipino seafarers

By CBCP News

September 23, 2020

Manila, Philippines

A Catholic bishop has joined appeals to resume the hunt for Filipino seafarers and others missing since a cargo ship sank off Japan due to a typhoon early this month.

Bishop Ruperto Santos, vice chairman of the Episcopal Commission on Migrants and Itinerant People, called for a search to continue, after Japan authorities suspended its rescue last week.

“We are making a direct and strong appeal to the ship owner, Gulf Navigation Holding, to resume the searching and support their respective families in every possible way,” he said.

Santos, who is also the bishop-promoter of the Apostleship of the Sea – Philippines, said he is hoping that the crew are found and survived.

“We continue to pray that others may have somehow survived this tragic incident,” the prelate said.

“Our thoughts and heartfelt empathy go out to all the family members and friends, who are anticipating good news at home,” he added.

The bishop appealed to the Philippine government not only to extend assistance to the families but also to request the neighboring countries to help in the search and rescue operations.

Gulf Livestock 1, which left Napier Port bound for China carrying thousands of cattle and 43 crew members, including 39 Filipinos, sank on Sept. 2 after Typhoon Maysak struck at sea.

At least three Filipinos have so far been rescued but one later died. Thirty-six Filipinos, two Australians and two New Zealanders are missing.

DONATE TO CBCP NEWS

CBCPNews is a church-based news agency operated by the Media Office of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines.  This apostolate aims at helping the work of the new evangelization through the news media.  This is non-commercial and non-profit.  That being the case, it totally depends on generosity of its readers and supporters.

Should you wish to donate kindly press the donate button.  Thank you.