Bishop seeks justice for death of OFW in Kuwait

Bishop seeks justice for death of OFW in Kuwait

By CBCP News

May 21, 2019

Manila, Philippines

A church offical has joined calls for justice for the death of another overseas Filipino worker in Kuwait.

Bishop Ruperto Santos of Balanga urged the government to exert all efforts to help bring justice to Constancia Dayag, who was killed by her employer in Kuwait.

He said the employer of Dayag, a 47-year-old household service worker from Isabela province, must be prosecuted and justice rendered.

“Our government officials should not stop until the guilty is punished by law, and justice for Constancia is done,” said Santos, who heads the church’s migrants ministry.

The prelate also blamed the Kuwaiti government for the “gruesome” death of Dayag.

“She has not been protected, and so it was a failure on their part and clear violation of signed agreement,” he said.

Bishop Santos then challenged incoming lawmakers to craft a new measure that would protect the rights of OFWs more.

He made the appeal as he also asked legislators to craft laws that would create more jobs in the country so that Filipinos will never be forced to seek jobs abroad.

“For our newly elected government officials, you can do a great service to our OFW if you can craft laws that will protect and promote their rights,” he said.

The Department of Foreign Affairs said it is coordinating with Kuwaiti authorities in probing the death of Dayag, who died from contusions and hematoma on May 14.

Last year, the Philippine government ordered a total ban on the deployment of Filipino workers to Kuwait amid reported abuses and deaths, including Joana Demafelis, whose body was found in a freezer.

The ban was lifted after the two countries agreed on a measure to protect Filipino workers in the Gulf state.