Bishops condemn Abu’s beheading of German hostage
Abducted German national Jurgen Kantner in Abu Sayyaf video
MANILA – A Catholic prelate condemned the beheading of German national by the Abu Sayyaf in Sulu on Sunday afternoon
Archbishop Martin Jumoad of Ozamiz said the killing of Jurgen Kantner, 70, is a “sad moment for all people who respect and value life”.
“When does God’s justice fall upon them so that they may see the light? Are they really believers of one God or money is the one they adore?” Jumoad said.
The prelate said he hopes the military will go after the terrorist group and for the court “to enforce the teeth of the law”.
“We pray for the soul of the victim of the latest beheading,” Jumoad added.
Bishop Dinualdo Gutierrez of Marbel called the act “inhuman” and called on the authorities to bring the perpetrators to justice.
The German was killed as the deadline set by the Abu Sayyaf for the P30 million ($600,000) ransom expired.
Kanter and his wife, Sabine Merz, were abducted from their yacht in waters off southern Philippines in November last year.
The dead body of Sabine Merz was later found on board the vessel off Sulu. She had gunshot wounds and bruises.
Chief presidential peace adviser Secretary Jesus Dureza said the government exhausted all efforts to save Kantner “but to no avail”.
“We grieve as we strongly condemn the barbaric beheading of yet another kidnap victim, German Juergen Gustav Kantner in Sulu,” Dureza said. “We condole with his family, friends and loved ones.”
“Terrorism has no place in a country like ours and we as a people must confront violent extremism every time it rears its ugly head.”
“Another precious life had been needlessly lost. There must be a stop to this killing of the innocent and the helpless,” he said.