Manila archdiocese submits Covid-19 precautionary measures to gov’t

Manila archdiocese submits Covid-19 precautionary measures to gov’t

By CBCP News

May 11, 2020

Manila, Philippines

The Archdiocese of Manila has submitted proposals to the government that show its parishes are prepared and ready to resume liturgical celebrations.

The protocol for religious services states that churches would limit the number of people present, ensure physical distancing, and congregation must wear face masks.

Bishop Broderick Pabillo, the archdiocese’s administrator, said the measures will be put in place when current Covid-19 restrictions are lifted and if it is deemed safe to do so by the Department of Health.

“We already submitted a copy (of the guidelines) to the DOH last week. They have yet to provide comments,” he said.

The bishop has earlier appealed for the opening of churches in areas under “general community quarantine”.

He stressed that people also need religious services for their “resilience”.

Pabillo added that parishes are more than willing to coordinate with local government units if only to ensure that the safety measures are strictly implemented.

“They can even send barangay personnel to check if we can observe the protocols. We have no problem with it,” he said.