Laity Week to focus on solidarity with clergy
Representatives from all over the country are expected to grace the launching of the 2018 National Laity Week (NLW 2018), which runs from Sept. 22 to 29, 2018.
Aug. 9, 2018
Aligning with the CBCP’s declaration of the Year of the Clergy and Consecrated Persons, Sangguniang Laiko ng Pilipinas will celebrate the 2018 National Laity Week (NLW 2018) from Sept. 22 to 29, focusing on the theme of “solidarity towards social transformation.”
According to a letter sent by LAIKO president Julieta Wasan, the week-long event aims to emphasize “the indispensable role of collaboration between the laity, clergy, and consecrated persons in building up the Kingdom of God.”
Representatives from all over the country are expected to gather for the launching of the NLW 2018, which will be held on Sept. 22, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 P.M., in the Diocese of San Pablo, Laguna, while the closing event will be on Sept. 29, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the Archdiocese of Cagayan de Oro.
Wasan also called on the arch/dioceses to come up with their own activities to celebrate lay people’s unique role and contribution to the Church.
Suggested activities include:
- Sponsorship of daily Masses during the Laity Week by different lay organizations and allow them to give brief talks about their organization, particularly their collaboration with the clergy and consecrated person ;
- Setting up of mini-libraries in the parishes that contain literature available for research or study on various Church documents particularly those dealing with the vocation and mission of the clergy, religious and the laity;
- Setting of booths by different religious congregations and Church mandated organizations in the parishes that contain literature about their organizations;
- Homilies of priests shall give emphasis on the Year of the Clergy and Consecrated Persons;
- Parish renewal seminars;
- Blessing of the images of San Lorenzo Ruiz and/or San Pedro Calungsod; and
- Singing the Year of the Clergy and Consecrated Persons hymn and San Lorenzo Ruiz and/or San Pedro Calungsod hymns
NLW 2018 also aims to “celebrate together the common and ministerial priesthood as unique gifts bestowed to each & everyone as children of the Father” and to “accompany the clergy, consecrated persons and laity in their journey towards the integral renewal of their values, mind-sets, behavior and lifestyles relevant to our times.”